While I was in Delhi, my friend and I visited one South Indian restaurant and my friend made me try Curd Rice for the first time and it was delectable. Being a curious foodie I had to prepare the dish myself as well and it turned out to be great. I also added a tadka to add a little sidekick to the dish.
Here are some Facts/Reasons as to why you need to try Curd Rice or as I call it my comfort food
- Regular Curd consumption improves digestion also it helps to cure upset stomach and indigestion problems.
- We Indians love spicy food and for those who love but can’t handle, curd comes to their best use. A cup of curd after a spicy meal will keep you sane and those tears at bay.
- It’s rich in calcium, good fats and is a natural substitute for antibiotics and probiotics.
- Curd Improves Absorption of Minerals and Vitamins, increasing the defence mechanism and immunity of the body.
- It is said that curd is a good stress buster and a great mood lifter. It’s versatile in flavour and also makes for a healthier substitute creamy desserts and sugary drinks.
Curd Rice Recipe
|Indian||2-3 persons||15 Min|
2 Cups Mashed Rice
1 Cup Thick Curd
4 tbsp Milk
1 tsp Sugar
Salt to Taste
2 tbsp Ghee
¼ Tsp Black Mustard Seeds
Few Curry Leaves
¼ tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of Heeng (asafoetida)
¼ Tsp Urad Dal
½ tsp grated Ginger
¼ tsp Chana Dal
1-2 Dry Red Chillies
A pinch of Red Chilli Powder
1 Slit Green Chilli
- Mix all the base ingredients except salt preparing a sticky Rice-Curd mixture. The mixture should be thick and well mashed. Refrigerate the mix.
- Heat Ghee in a pan, add Cumin Seeds & Mustard Seeds and when they start spluttering add Chana and Urad dal to the Ghee as well.
- After roasting the dal, add all other Tadka ingredients and turn off the heat after a few seconds so that the spices don’t burn.
- Now take out the Curd Rice mixture from Refrigerator and add Salt.
- Top the mixture with Tadka; Garnish and serve.
Tip: You can also add chopped dry fruits, vegetables or fruits to the mixture.
Hope You like it.
Do tell me how you make curd rice at your place and don’t forget to check out my other quick and easy recipes.